Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Improving insulation and sound

"ss" wrote in message
Just recently got `free` cavity wall & loft insulation and would like to
further improve the insulation and sound insulation in a couple of rooms.
In one bedroom there are 2 windows which although double glazed have
minimum spacing between the glass (approx cm) I also hear traffic noise
through them.
I was thinking of using some 10mm polycarbonate sheet in a frame to make a
third `pane` . I am using this method as it is something I could do
myself.
Am I likely to gain much by way of heat loss and sound insulation

I doubt it. Its mostly the rigid heavy glass that helps the most with sound
insulation.

or would it not be worth the effort?

I doubt it would be.