Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default The first time I ever got fired:

On Jul 8, 11:17*am, "
wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 05:32:20 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:37*pm, Theodore Edward Stosterone
wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 19:04:44 -0400, Home Guy wrote:
wrote:

What made me think of this incident? Read this article and see
how corporations are literally controlling your lives:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...a-lifeguard-fi....

This is just another example of how your country is ****ing itself up
the ass.

And why is it that a private company is paid to patrol a public beach?

The news story I just saw said that the beach he was hired to patrol
is a PRIVATE beach. *The lifeguard company is well within it's rights
to limit the employees' range (and liability) to the private beach.

Now, firing hte guy is another story.

-TES

That depends on the applicable state laws...

Some states establish an overriding "duty-to-care"
for trained lifesavers which requires those trained
and qualified to render aid to do so... *The employer
can not nullify those requirements via any contract
entered into by offering a person employment...

The employer may not be able to nullify those requirements but the (Florida)
employer is under no obligation to employ you either. *Florida, as well as
*many* others are "at will" states. *It is generally a good thing.

Even in an at-will employment state, a employer can not
terminate you for fulfilling your legally required duty if you
are a trained lifesaver...

Someone who is suffering a heart attack can not be left
to die just because they are 10 feet across an imaginary
line in the sand if you are trained, qualified and equipped
to help them with an AED unit...

Same logic applies to someone drowning in water...

"At Will" allows for termination for many things, however
abiding by a legally required duty under the law is not one
of them and the employer will lose at the fair labor practices
hearing at which such a termination can be appealed...

Back pay, getting job back. etc. etc...