Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default How to Install a window Air Conditioner in a wall

On Jul 6, 11:33*am, wrote:
I have a shed/workshop that is too hot to use. *I have a window AC, but
it's too big for the windows in the shed. *I've decided to install it in
the wall. *The walls are just studs with a plywood siding. *It's just
rough studs inside, so it's just a matter of cutting thru the plywood
siding. *The problem is how to seal it so rain and insects dont get in
around it. *Even if I cut it fairly tight, there will still be a gap,
and water will come in during rains, and damage the wood. *I suppose
several tubes of silicone caulk would work, but that would make it
impossible to remove for repairs.

What's the trick to this?

First off, your building is too hot to use because
it is just plywood and studs... Spend money on
adding some insulation, vapor barrier and an
interior wall surface... Otherwise your AC unit
will definitely need some repairs fairly soon
trying to keep up with the cooling load you
are saddling it with...

Secondly, you need a sleeve rated unit when
you are installing an AC unit through the wall...
The sleeve is installed to the properly built
wall structure and weatherproofed and the
compatible AC unit slides right in...

If you are so dead set on re-purposing the
specific AC unit you have available rather
than buying one properly suited to the
application, then buy and properly install
a window large enough to allow the AC
you have to be used in the manner it was
designed to be used...