Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan[_10_] Alan[_10_] is offline

Default Laptop/Tablet?

In message , Lobster
wrote
On 08/07/2012 01:06, John Rumm wrote:
SWMBO wants to downsize her PC to either a Laptop or a Tablet.

Now obviously both have their upside & downsides, so what we are looking
for is a review or comparison site that compares the two different
systems.

We can find plenty of sites that compare each with themselves, but not
one that compares Tablet v Laptop.

Anyone know of such a site?

The difficulty is that they are not really comparable in many ways. Most
tables are very much about content "consumption" rather than creation.

That's a very neat summary of the fundamental difference

I've have a "media player" that runs the Android operating system. I
like Android on my phone but I don't like it for the media system. It's
an input method thing. Android is ideally suited for a touch screen and
completely unsuited for a remote control (incl. key entry) and a TV.
http://tinyurl.com/co3zuuc

While I don't have a tablet I have a phone that runs Android and a
laptop that runs Windoze. In general, the type of applications or
software I have on the phone are not replicated on the laptop. In fact
many things that work well on the laptop would be extremely clunky on a
phone/tablet.

The other thing to consider when deciding on a laptop/tablet is the
internal storage internal storage and inbuilt capabilities. Will your
usage require the immediately need to add an external hard disk and/or
keyboard and/or CD/DVD player? And can the intended purchase actually
run your favourite existing software.

--
Alan