Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Pouring A New Concrete Stoop

On Jul 7, 10:04*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jul 7, 6:01*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The plan is to repair my front stoop as follows.

1 - Remove the brick veneer from the front and sides of my 4' x 6' x
14" stoop
2 - Bust *up the slab
3 - Bust up the single 6' x 13" x 7" step

This should leave me with the block foundation that is under the
stoop. I've already removed a few bricks so I know that there is block
and a footer underneath.

4 - Build forms for the sides and step
5 - Pour new sides, slab and step, all as one pour.
6 - We're undecided on stamped concrete vs. porcelain tile, but
leaning towards stamped concrete. It's cheaper and should not present
any maintenance issues like tile might.

So, here are my questions, as I try to calculate how much concrete
I'll need:

1 - What's the minimum thickness the slab should be?
2 - What's the minimum thickness the side and front walls should be?
3 - The step (6' x 13" x 7") should be poured as a single, solid unit,
right? (no blocks)
4 - Since walls and slab will be done as one pour, I don't have to be
concerned with wire mesh or anything on the block, do I? Would it help
or just be overkill?
5 - Should I use rebar or welded wire frame in the side walls?

where are yuo located, frost may influence answers?

I'm located where we have winter from as early as November to as late
as April. Winter includes zero temps and lots of snow.