Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cassette Deck drive bands

On Jul 7, 7:23*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote in message

This week something *I did not know -- found while
trying to make sense of strobing a capstan to set
the motor speed. An Aiwa with rotatatable head for
playing the "reverse" side of the tape. Spindle to one
capstan was 1.49mm diameter and the other 1.69mm.
There is a proportional size difference to the capstans,
[sic] driven by the same band.

What you mean is that the diameter of the "flange" (or whatever) at the

base
of the capstan, which is driven by the same belt, varies so that each
capstan moves the tape at the same linear speed.

If the tape is driven by both capstans at the same time (and I assume it
is), then one capstan is designed to turn ever-so-slightly faster so that
the tape is held under tension.

It's not clear what happens when the tape reverses direction. However, my
Nakamichi used this system, and the tape didn't go spilling into the

deck's
innards when it was reversed.

I wouldn't say it was a slight difference as in the ratio of *1.49 to 1..69
but not such a large difference I had noticed in general handling.
Probably specious accuracy as I did not remove them for good perpendicular
measurement but 44.86mm and 48.79mm of the capstan flanges. Figure-of-S
shape for the band between the flanges, opposite rotational distrection,
only one engaged pinch-wheel at a *time of course. .

By ythe way does the USA term for say the Lazy-S ranch mean an S that is
stretched out or "laid on its back" ie turned through 90 degrees? or both ?- Hide quoted text -

usually means rotated to lie on its back