Posted to alt.home.repair
Duesenberg Duesenberg is offline

Default Wood staining help

On 7/7/2012 12:25 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Got some white oak flooring laid, now need to make it match some
existing red oak i have already. The red oak has been finished with
BLO, and 4 coats of shellac, and one coat of waxless shellac. (in case i
wanted to poly later). Anyone got any suggestions as to how to come
close to making this white oak look like the red? I realize the grain
structure is completely different.

thanks in advance!

Sanding then blending a couple of stains is the only way I've done it,
but I've never stained white oak, only red.

Find a store that will take back unused or barely used stain. Buy three
or four colours and try to blend and match. Maybe pick up some white
oak vaneer at a supplier if you don't have any scrap to practice on.

Good luck!