BigWallop

Default Loft insulation

"Mungo Henning" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message

You mean that every builder and joiner using the chipboard flooring in

new
builds, has to put dwangs (noggins to you southerners) on the edge of

each
and every board they lay and fix. I think you should get on to new

building
sites a bit more. :-))

"Southerner" indeed ... I'm from Ayrshire! :-)

What happens in "new builds" is not my concern. Squeaky floors and
15-year-old
kids dislodging chipboard flooring IS my concern, but only in my house.

Having replaced the floor of a friend's porch we had one extra 8' by 2'
length of flooring
grade chipboard left over. I suggested to the friend that they install the
surplus board in
their loft - they might as well use it somewhere.
The plan was to take the hand circular saw and cut the board so that each
half would
be easier to fit through the loft hatch.
"Ah but no" says I "I'll need to see the spacing so that the end of the
board sits on top of
a joist.
"But I haven't done that" says the householder. As it turns out the sparse
boards that the
householder did install were nailed down. Imagine a 13-stone bloke

standing
on the overhang
of such a board, relying on the nails to hold it down!

So the final decision was that I could keep the surplus board myself.

Mungo

Now that is asking for trouble. :-)) I said, only if the other boards
around it were fitted into the tongue and groove of the other boards. That
way, any overhangs are left out at the edges which you can't stand on. But
the design of these boards is meant to take the weight of normal use on the
tongue and groove sections.