Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default How to Install a window Air Conditioner in a wall

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 10:33:47 -0500, wrote:

I have a shed/workshop that is too hot to use. I have a window AC, but
it's too big for the windows in the shed. I've decided to install it in
the wall. The walls are just studs with a plywood siding. It's just
rough studs inside, so it's just a matter of cutting thru the plywood
siding. The problem is how to seal it so rain and insects dont get in
around it. Even if I cut it fairly tight, there will still be a gap,
and water will come in during rains, and damage the wood. I suppose
several tubes of silicone caulk would work, but that would make it
impossible to remove for repairs.

What's the trick to this?

Based on memory of my dad (carpenter) did many moons ago, I'd say what
you got for advice is valid. The only thing is make sure, if it's
important to you, to not allow the unit to be pushed back into the
workshop to prevent burglary. Not sure how to do this but I'm sure
someone else knows or Google around.