Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to Install a window Air Conditioner in a wall

On Jul 6, 12:10*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jul 6, 11:02*am, rlz wrote:

On Jul 6, 9:33*am, wrote:

I have a shed/workshop that is too hot to use. *I have a window AC, but
it's too big for the windows in the shed. *I've decided to install it in
the wall. *The walls are just studs with a plywood siding. *It's just
rough studs inside, so it's just a matter of cutting thru the plywood
siding. *The problem is how to seal it so rain and insects dont get in
around it. *Even if I cut it fairly tight, there will still be a gap,
and water will come in during rains, and damage the wood. *I suppose
several tubes of silicone caulk would work, but that would make it
impossible to remove for repairs.

What's the trick to this?

I had the same scenario a few years ago after I built my workshop. *I
ended up cutting a hole in the siding just big enough for the A/C to
fit though it. *I then trimmed it out with some 1x4's that matched the
corner boards of the workshop. *I just caulked where the trim touched
the A/C and where the trim touched the siding. *If it ever needs to be
removed, I'll just cut the caulking with a razor blade and remove the
trim. *The inside has OSB covering the walls, so I just cut some
quarter inch thick slices of a 2x4 and used them towrap around the A/C
to seal it inside the shop.

Having the A/C definitely makes a difference in there during the
summer.

Rob

What Rob said, plus, make sure to mount the AC sloping downward on the
outside so that rain and internal condensation go out not into your
workshop *If you can't cut an opening within 1/8 inch of the
dimensions of the AC, you shouldn't be building a workshop. One or two
tubes of caulking should be more than enough to fill the 1/8 inch
gap. *Use backing materials such as a foam rubber strip to keep the
caulking frorm going into the hole without stopping.- Hide quoted text -

"If you can't cut an opening within 1/8 inch of the dimensions of
the AC, you shouldn't be building a workshop"

He said he *has* a shed/workshop, not that he's building one.

Obviously, there's more to this than just cutting a hole and caulking
the gap.

Without a window, there's no sill to rest the unit on. The unit can't
be (OK, shouldn't be) just balanced on the plywood.

A sill will be needed to rest the unit on and a header installed to
keep the unit from tipping backward. Obviously not a huge endeavor,
but certainly more than just cutting a hole in the wall.