Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "...but it worked yesterday!"

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 05:43:58 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I feel sorry for Mac owners. They seem to be afraid to lift the lid and get
their hands dirty. Well, I want to know /what/ the OS is doing, and /why/.

Wrongo. Most of the programmists and hackers that I know use a Mac.
Under the Apple GUI lies Carnagie Mellon BSD, a Unix variant. For
those that want to know what's under the covers, Unix (and Linux) are
the best. The GUI makes things easy. The shell prompt makes things
work. I have various Mac's around the office and house. While I
don't use them for much, I have less trouble dealing with the Macs at
the shell level, than I do dealing with Windoze 7, which I find
incomprehensible and obscure. Since most of my paying customers run
Windoze, I also run Windoze. However, if I were just computing for my
own amusement, I would probably run Linux and possibly OS/X as 2nd
best.

Incidentally, I recently fixed a corrupted network configuration on a
MacBook Pro that the GUI interface couldn't repair by simply editing
the config files with vi. It's like rolling back the clock 20 years,
but it works. If you really want to know what's going on under the
covers, setup a no GUI Linux machine, and learn which programs do
what, how to use vi, where the files are buried, shell scripting, and
how it all fits together. If you don't want to setup a 2nd machine,
install
http://www.cygwin.com
Then, go back to Windoze and learn to operate from the MSDOS CMD
prompt. It will be quite similar, although not as capable.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D