Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "...but it worked yesterday!"

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 13:24:51 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"Lease" is the term used in books on the subject, but I couldn't find a
value for the interval in the router's setup.

Easy. Go thee unto:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/DHCP_querytool_free.exe
That's the free Weird Solutions DHCP query tool which is no longer
available on their web pile. Install it and run. Put any manner of
garbage in the "Device Identifier" box. The output should look like
this:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/DHCPQueryTool-output.jpg
option DHCP address lease time=86400
option DHCP renewal time=43200
option DHCP rebinding time=75600

The renewal time is always 1/2 of the lease time.
Lease time = 86400 seconds / 3600 sec/hr = 24 hrs
Renewal time = 43200 sec / 3600 sec/hr = 12 hrs

The rebinding time (time to retry if renewal fails)
75600 seconds / 3600 sec/hr = 21 hrs

How it all works:
http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_DHCPConfigurationandOperation.htm

Incidentally, I'm running several virtual machines on my XP desktop.
The DHCP query tool was having a bad time finding my DHCP server until
I disarmed all the VM device interfaces, leaving only the machines
ethernet interface.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D