Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Laundry Chute Regulations???

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 10:48:22 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On Jul 5, 2:03*pm, u22 wrote:
Hi, I'm thinking of installing a laundry chute in my house, I don't
think its a common household facility in the UK as I have never heard of
or know anyone who has one.

I'm interested because it will make life easier as I have a large
family...

I'm thinking of installing it from the first floor to the basement -
that's going through 2 floors in total. I want to completely comply with
the building regs and fire standards, could you please advise on my plan
and the questions I have regarding it. Currently my plan consists of:

1) Chute diameter of 30cm
2) Chute Material: Stainless Steel
3) 1.5 hour fire rated self closing door at the top
4) 1 hour fire damper at the basement level

5) Box the pipe in with fire board and plaster it

6) Add a fire alarm at the top of the chute (inside) - fire alarm will
be interconnected to others throughout the house.

My questions:

a) Is a laundry chute legal in the UK for residential houses?
b) Is my plan above sufficient to satisfy all the building and fire
regs?
c) Do I have to inform the council that I'm putting one in?

Any other recommendations welcome!

Thanks

--
u22

I can tell you about hospital ones. They have self closing doors,
smoke proof, on all floors and are fireproof. A mass of damp laundry
can self ignite.
There have been some serious incidents in hospitals in the past.

Also. make sure kids can't fall down access/them.
They can be smelly too.

And then the school will complain.
--
Peter.