Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_5_] Rick Hughes[_5_] is offline

Default Laundry Chute Regulations???

On 05/07/2012 14:03, u22 wrote:
Hi, I'm thinking of installing a laundry chute in my house, I don't
think its a common household facility in the UK as I have never heard of
or know anyone who has one.

I'm interested because it will make life easier as I have a large
family...

I'm thinking of installing it from the first floor to the basement -
that's going through 2 floors in total. I want to completely comply with
the building regs and fire standards, could you please advise on my plan
and the questions I have regarding it. Currently my plan consists of:

1) Chute diameter of 30cm
2) Chute Material: Stainless Steel
3) 1.5 hour fire rated self closing door at the top
4) 1 hour fire damper at the basement level

5) Box the pipe in with fire board and plaster it

6) Add a fire alarm at the top of the chute (inside) - fire alarm will
be interconnected to others throughout the house.

My questions:

a) Is a laundry chute legal in the UK for residential houses?
b) Is my plan above sufficient to satisfy all the building and fire
regs?
c) Do I have to inform the council that I'm putting one in?

I looked at putting one in my build ... from ironing room on 1s floor to
utility room below .. was advised it would be difficult to get Bld Regs
approval due to fire risk.
I did point out that my stair well was a much bigger opening .. but they
did not see that as relevant.