Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default fasten planks to frame

On 7/5/2012 10:39 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

They make a screw specifically for mounting 2 by deck boards to truck
and trailer beds. Its drill point with a couple ears that make a larger
hole through the wood then break off when they hit the metal so the
screw can thread in. I have a half box of them ont eh shelf.

Those don't have enough drill to them to make it into a regular
structural channel flange, though, will they? IIUC, Karl's replaced at
least most of the original rolled steel supports w/ channel...

I tried at least a variant of that before shooting the old truck bed
here and didn't have much (as in any) joy. It is a 38-series grain bed
with rails which were also rolled but somewhat heavier than a factory
pickup support rail.

There's undoubtedly one that will work but the ones I got which were
supposed to be able to do the job weren't up to the specific task at hand.