Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default fasten planks to frame

On 7/5/2012 5:42 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

What fastener is best to put 2 x 12s on to a steel frame. I looked for
self tapping screws and didn't find anything rated to do the four inch
channel iron. Maybe I need to look more.

Suggestions?

I shot powder-actuated twisted-shank fasteners (obtained from the local
truck grain bed manufacturer). They're the cat's meow...

I'm not sure if they were Hilti or some other variety. I don't think
the BORGS w/ all their propensity for Remington stuff have anything like
'em; at least I've not seen them (altho it's probably been 20 years
since I did this; who knows what they've got in stock or Remington makes
now).

I've used a knurled fastener w/ a threaded back end to mount clips to
the booms on the sprayer to avoid major dismantling where couldn't stand
the heat of a weld otherwise owing to all the tubing, control wiring,
etc. It's a mild steel structural channel so they'll go w/ the right
charge.