Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default O/T: Warm Enough

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 10:46:49 -0600, Swingman wrote
(in article ) :

An example is the TCDD dataset for 1934 in Arizona (an average of the
actual reported temperatures in that state, in that year) shows to be 52.0F.

The "adjusted" GrDD for that same period in Arizona uses 48.9F ... 3.1F
_cooler_.

I understand the need to do some fine adjustments to historically long data
sets, but one would expect that the changes to average out with such large
numbers (i.e some places are adjusted warmer, some cooler). As it stands now
with all these 'adjustments', The overwhelming majority have be adjusted
cooler in the past which makes todays temperatures seem downright abnormally
high.

I guess that those dutiful observers carefully reading thermometers back in
the late 19th, early 20th centuries all read values higher than reality. It
was a conspiracy back then!

It also irks me when they report a record high at a place like DFW, when the
last high was back in the '30s. I'd like to see a photo of the DFW area back
then and compare it with now just to guess the tonnage of concrete added in
the past 80+ years...