Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OKeefe Merritt Stove won't heat up

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 14:40:56 -0400, "Andy Taylor"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

Good, that keeps the prices down for those that appreciate a quality
appliance. Compare that old stuff to the mass market crap today and
you may be surprised. Yes, the convection ovens today are better, but
those old burners could put out lots of heat and had a rugged design
for the grates on top. Metal was thicker, coatings were thicker and
better.

Until you actually look at one and use one, you are just talking out
your uneducated ass.

I've found that EnergyStar rated appliances save money in the long run.

For example, my EnergyStar washer uses 1/3 the water that the old machine consumed.
This translates into lower energy bills to heat the water, less salt for the water softener and finally a lower municipal water
bill.
It's a big win-win-win!

The EnergyStar ranges return similar results. Convection ovens bake faster so they are not on as long. They are also insulated
better so they don't heat up your house as much with the added bonus of lower air conditioning bills.

EnergyStar refrigerators are a no-brainer money saver as well.

But the bottom line is that at the end of the month, my uneducated ass has extra money to spend.

You are partly correct. Agree on the washing machines, dryers,
refrigerators. The oven may save a few pennies, but not much. You
save NOTHING on the burners when on. You either need the heat or you
don't and adjust the burner accordingly. You need a certain amount of
heat to cook an egg or boil water.

But we were talking ranges, not other appliances. Yes, get rid of 30
year old refrigerators.