Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default O/T: Warm Enough

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 04 Jul 2012 15:26:23 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
m:

On 04 Jul 2012 01:21:23 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
m:

Yeah, mercury and dioxin don't digest well. Agreed. But try
their silly agenda against silicone implants, asbestos, lead, and
a dozen or

Silicone implants appear to have had a rather bad reputation, due to
faulty manufacture, ingredients and/or surgical technique. They
were appropriately banned.

Show me cites where they actually proved the silicone implants to be
bad, not just people claiming it.

Sorry, you'll have to find them yourself.

Not so sure you can, eh?

There is asbestos and asbestos. The kind that is easily friable and
airborn AND contains the really long needle-like crystals is the
kind you might very easily get cancer from (I could go into more
biochemical details). All other kinds (if any) are fine.

90% of all asbestos ever mined was the gentle kind, non-crocidolite.
The only way to get asbestosis or mesothelioma is to have worked in
a dusty asbestos plant--with no respirator for decades.

And be a heavy smoker. Nevertheless, ever try to sell a house with
asbestos?

Nowadays, with the rampant, totally-unsubstantiated fear about it?
Good luck!

And, mind you, I would be careful with all potential
irritants.

I even wear a mask to mow nowadays, and I ventilate heavily during
painting or (re)finishing, blowing, etc.

I likely inhaled far too much asbestos as a young mechanic, blowing
out brake drums and blowing off backing plates. THAT I don't do any
longer.

Note: The way the bad asbestos gets you is via its crystals,
that are too big for macrophages to ingest and then dispose of. The
macs get irritated and start secreting stuff that is full of degrading
enzymes and oxidants. The body isn't designed to neutralize those
substances in excess. It's a similar mechanism that gets you gout,
the uric acid crystals do similar things. Why uric acid gets the
joints, I don't know. The green parts of rhubarb contain a lot of
calcium oxalate needle-like crystals, which are similarly toxic in a
way.

Sounds nasty, but aren't we talking about an entirely bygone era?
(where men were macho and didn't wear protection, and companies didn't
offer it.)

Lead is toxic as the divalent cation (it mimics calcium, but does
not have the necessary properties to be a good substitute).

Why fine property owners for poor parenting?

Having been in the situation where I rented an apartment I was glad
that I could ascertain and remedy the (minor) lead problems. Lead
should be removed everywhere it can be removed. In most cases lead is
not necessary.

AFAIC, lead is a non-concern. I'm not eating it (like some entirely
unmonitored young urban children evidently were) and I don't plant my
garden in it. I mask when sanding anything, leaded or not, and clean
up the dust.

--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at
midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself

Seems that now you are a believer in the harm those substances can do ...

--
Best regards
Han