Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default Doorbells - what is it

On 04/07/12 14:01, Terry Fields wrote:

djc wrote:

Long ago (circa 1972) when I lived in Enfield , after a long
lunchtime in the Crown & Horseshoes, returning to the workshop we
noticed the date (18??) on a little cast iron bridge over the New River.
I returned from the workshop with paint pot and picked out the date and
makers mark in white paint. The bridge has been repainted quite a few
times since; as far as I know the lettering is still picked out in
contrasting hue.

Stone the crows...in the summer of 1966 I worked as a van driver for W
Sutton and Co, who were based in Horseshoe Lane. I parked my car on
Parsonage Gardens, just round the corner. Being new to the firm I had
the worst 'run', which was from Battersea to Esher, and my load was
always last to be packed. While waiting, I used to get the landlady of
the C&H to make my lunch, usually two crusty corned-beef rolls, for
some nominal sum. I sometimes ate these while parked in a ford
somewhere around Esher, but I can't find the location on satellite
photos.

I see the former site of Suttons is now 'Derby Court'. I can't
remember if there was a local builders in Horseshoe Lane at the time,
but at least once a pickup truck turned up there and its registration
number was my birthday...17 MAR; it must be worth a fortune these

Suttons must have closed or moved around 1970. The warehouse was
acquired by the local council and used as a scenery store by various
local drama groups In including Enfield Youth Theatre who used it as a
workshop, which is where I got involved. It was semi-derelict, and we
had the run of the place, (no elfin safety nonsense in those days). I
think the housing was finally built in the 1980's.

--
djc