Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics
legg legg is offline

Default Hacking a PCB: How to Remove Coating

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 10:12:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 11:50:19 -0500, legg wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 15:50:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Hacking a Park-Zone POS to make it work accurately, I find the PCB has
a relatively thick clear coating.

What's the best way to remove the coating without damaging components?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

It decomposes at soldering temperatures, allowing local probing and
repair with a soldering iron. It's clear, so you shouldn't have to
remove it entirely, to do what you're trying to do.

RL

I can cut it with an X-acto knife, with a slight "rubbery" feel, so
it's hard to scrape right down to a trace.

...Jim Thompson

You'll have to burn through with a hot tinned iron tip and tin the
intended contact with pre-fluxed solder. The tinning slakes off local
residue.

Once you start burning, the opacity of the film will degrade locally,
so make as many observations and notes as is possible prior to the
slash and burn.

RL