Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default mud rooms

On Jul 4, 1:34*am, "Doug" wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 00:38:09 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Jul 3, 1:29*am, "Doug" wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 11:33:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Jul 2, 1:41*pm, "Doug" wrote:
How long has this word(s) been around. *I started watching some
construction on tv and they give me the impression that the northern
part of US (maybe Canada too) uses the term. * Well I lived around
construction while in NYC , Long Island and some NY state for a number
of years (moved away in late 70's) and never heard the term then. * Is
a mud room similar to a foyer except it can be as a separate room?

Having grown up in NYC (Queens) I had never heard of the term "mud
room" until I moved to western NY in the early 80's.

However, there may be a reason I never heard of them: None of the
areas where I or any of my friends lived had the style of house where
a mud room could have been included. We lived in row houses, side-by-
side duplexes (not rentals, owner occupied on both sides), and of
course, apartment buildings. None of these styles were really set up
to have a mud room.

I do recall some houses having a small, enclosed back porch or the
like where shoes, baseball gloves and other assorted items piled up,
but we never referred to them as mud rooms.

Once I moved to western NY, my first memory of a mud room is of a room
between a "semi attached" garage and the main house where dirty shoes
and winter clothes could be removed. I later learned that they are
simply a separate room accessed via a side or back door, sometimes
doubling as a laundry room.

I also grew up somewhat in Queens ... Flushing to be more exact. * You
basically described what I lived in then. *I never lived upstate but
frequented maybe once a year to visit relatives in Utica tho I have
relatives in other parts of NY including western NY. * Maybe that's
why I never heard of it just like yourself???? * *Well everyone is
educating me now. * I now recall one of my aunts had a mud room on her
house in Utica tho it was converted into a small kitchen but otherwise
fits the description everyone so far described. *I will read the
remaining posts in this thread now. * *Thanks !!

Care to narrow it down even further? I too grew up in Flushing.

Spent lots of time playing football, frisbee and sledding on the
grounds of Queens College when there still a lot of green space.

If you look out of my old front window now there's a glass and steel
building instead of open field. Way, way back it was woods.

I lived on Main Street and went to school at John Bowne HS. *I used to
love it when the college students came over to protest and held up
traffic on Main Street in front of the High School.

I lived on Reeves Ave. As you may recall, Bowne was on the corner of
Reeves and Main.

I went to PS 219 and JHS 218, but I went to Hillcrest HS in Jamaica. I
did it as a favor for my Dad.

He was President of Bowne's PTA when they announced that every one who
lived south of Jewel Ave had to go to Hillcrest when it opened. My dad
got a lot heat from the parents of the kids who were going to have to
Hillcrest, but there was nothing he could do about it. He asked me if
I would willing to go there to show that it wasn't such a bad thing
and I said yes.

I still hung out with all my friends who went to Bowne, but I got to
make a whole new set of friends too. When I had days off from
Hillcrest, I would sometimes go to class with my Bowne friends as a
'cousin' from out of town.

I still find it kind of cool that kids could go from kindergarten
through Graduate School all on that one big block.

Slightly off topic, a few years ago I was eating at a local restaurant
in Houston, Texas and the woman at the next table started to talk to
me. *It turned out she and I both graduated from John Bowne HS the
same year. *She started to ask me if I knew so and so and
unfortunately I didn't remember the names she threw at me.