Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Breaking the epoxy bond under SMD ?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Jim Yanik wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out why epoxy was used to hold a SMD on
the board? thermal-conductive epoxy?

I've never seen epoxy used to hold a part to a PC board. A tiny
dot
of a red glue was used on our boards, and it would release when you
desoldered the transistor leads. Any rework at the factory level
used very thin solder wick to remove the solder, and a very thin
curved 'dental pick' to lift each lead while the joint was still hot.
If the glue was still holding, you touched the transistor with the
soldering iron to free it. If you worked fast enough, the glue was
loose when you unsoldered the last lead.

If I can find my old rework tools, I'll make a video & put it on
Youtube. I'm finally able to spend a little time in my shop, after
5+ years of health problems.

Glad to hear you're feeling better Michael. How is it in Fl at the
moment? We're seeing pictures on the TV here of widespread flooding
and power loss down the eastern seaboard, I think they said ??

Arfa

Ocala and Panhandle-area got the worst of it,with a lot of new sinkholes.
It's a bummer when a big hole opens up next to or under your house and
things start falling into it,your foundation and walls crack,or part of
your home literally breaks off.

Central Florida(Orlando area) didn't fare too badly. Our drought had kept
the lakes and retention ponds low so there was plenty of room for all the
water. We're still 2.5" below normal for rainfall.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

We're due out there in Jan or Feb '13, but I guess it will all be back to
normal by then ...

Arfa