Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default O/T: Warm Enough

" wrote in
:

On 03 Jul 2012 18:57:54 GMT, Han wrote:

Doug Miller wrote in
:

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

OK, we've beaten this to death with facts, suppositions, and worse.
How about a new direction.

Forget global warming. Whether or not it exists and if it does how
much we contribute to it. Take a look at what else our pollution
has caused.

Acid rain:

http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/what/index.html

Or ocean acidification:

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/story/Ocean+Acidification

I don't think there's much controversy over the fact that our
carbon emissions are causing these. Even disregarding global
warming, the effects of these would seem sufficient reason to curb
air pollution.

Actually, the principal culprit in acid rain is sulfur emissions,
not carbon dioxide. And that is indeed a "sufficient reason to curb
air pollution" -- as coal-fired power plants have been doing for a
few decades now.

CO2 dissolved in water is only a very weak acid; SO2 and SO3, on the
other hand, make very strong acids.

True. But, removal of CO2 from the blood through our breathing is
what keeps the pH of our blood at the right level. Just a bit either
way, and you're in trouble. Obviously, atmospheric CO2 won't any time
soon cause problems, but apparently changes in pH and temprature are
doing damage to some coral formations.

Locally. Any evidence of a global problem?

Going by memory, which isn't what it was some decades ago, but anyway.
Some socalled scientists say it is more than a local problem. They have
data to show that some kinds of coral when put in water with more CO2,
i.e. slightly more acidic, die off. Apparently not all corals, but an
significant fraction. I haven't re-read things, but a google for
"coral die-off co2" gives lots of hits. I'm not really fluent in those
sciences, so please, be my guest and do the hard research for me grin.

--
Best regards
Han