Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default O/T: Warm Enough

Larry Blanchard wrote in :

OK, we've beaten this to death with facts, suppositions, and worse. How
about a new direction.

Forget global warming. Whether or not it exists and if it does how much
we contribute to it. Take a look at what else our pollution has caused.

Acid rain:

http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/what/index.html

Or ocean acidification:

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/story/Ocean+Acidification

I don't think there's much controversy over the fact that our carbon
emissions are causing these. Even disregarding global warming, the
effects of these would seem sufficient reason to curb air pollution.

Actually, the principal culprit in acid rain is sulfur emissions, not carbon dioxide. And that is
indeed a "sufficient reason to curb air pollution" -- as coal-fired power plants have been
doing for a few decades now.

CO2 dissolved in water is only a very weak acid; SO2 and SO3, on the other hand, make
very strong acids.