Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Amazing

basilisk wrote in
:

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:33:27 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1531437 20120701 182850 "HeyBub" wrote:
steve robinson wrote:

Seems people are "forgetting" that there appear to be mechanisms
to get the poor subscribed without taxing them.

Its worked in the UK for years called national insurance

Giggle.

I wouldn't say "it works" in the UK. We frequently see reports on
the ghastly consequences, so much that physicians actually
prescribe water for their hospitalized patients so they won't die
of dehydration!

Here's the biggest difference: In the U.S., virtually all health
care providers have a financial incentive to keep their patients
alive. If alive, they live to be treated another day.

In the UK, if a patient lives or dies, it's no biggie - the doctor,
nurse, or hospital janitor gets paid the same. A recent report
claimed that upwards of 130,000 people die each year in the UK from
non-treatment or poor treatment.

US media propaganda.

Not US media at all. A cursory check, or neutral question, would have
prevented a knee-jerk reaction on your part.

"[LONDON, June 21, 2012] An eminent British doctor told a meeting of
the Royal Society of Medicine in London that every year 130,000
elderly patients that die while under the care of the National Health
Service (NHS) have been effectively euthanized by being put on the
controversial Liverpool Care Pathway (LCP), a protocol for care of
the terminally ill that he described as a "death pathway."

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/130...s-killed-every
-year-by-death-pathway-top-uk-doctor/

And from a UK newspaper:

"NHS doctors are prematurely ending the lives of thousands of elderly
hospital patients because they are difficult to manage or to free up
beds, a senior consultant claimed yesterday.

"[The Liverpool Care Pathway] is designed to come into force when
doctors believe it is impossible for a patient to recover and death
is imminent. It can include withdrawal of treatment - including the
provision of water and nourishment by tube - and on average brings a
patient to death in 33 hours."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ors-chilling-c
laim-The-NHS-kills-130-000-elderly-patients-year.html#ixzz1zT2ujcKn

To my knowledge, we in the U.S. have nothing like a physician writing
"LCP" on the patient's chart. ("DNR" is a completely different
critter.)

Maybe not exactly, but in practice.
During the recent passing of my wife, she was moved to comfort care
which involved no medical care other than I could request pain meds
if needed, no monitoring, no oxygen, no IV.

The physician didn't make this decision, it was offered as an an
option and I made the decision.

There was also a DNR issued, but it is a seperate concern than
witholding all treatment.

basilisk

Sorry to hear about your wife passing. These aren't easy things and
times, but I think that if prospects for a good life are diminishing,
thought needds to be given to what you call comfort care - a good phrase,
because comfort is what's needed for all concerned.
Good thoughts going your way ...

--
Best regards
Han