Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default O/T: Warm Enough

On 7/3/2012 9:25 AM, Han wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 7/2/2012 2:20 PM, Han wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
news
I am not buying the water expanding hunch at all. The tides make
much more of a difference and wave action would add to that. A
couple of more inches from temperature expansion would be unnoticed.

Apparently the estimates of sea level rises solely due to expansion
of the oceans as they warm up is between 11 and 43 cm, or ~4" to 1
1/2 ft. That's just the warming.

And as you stated, estimates, not proof. And my comments suggest that
natural wave and tide action overwhelm the "estimate" of the expansion
from heat of even 2'. Yes the 2' would be on top of all of that
however tide and wave action are often much greater than all of that
combined with out much of a notice my most.

Sorry, Leon, in the Bay of Fundy the tides are enormous. They dwarf a
few feet of sea level rise. But when the sea level has risen 2 or 3
feet, anything that is now at water's edge during high tide, will be 2 or
3 feet under.

Look at it this way. Normally door openings are 80" and all but freakily
tall basketball players go through without thinking. People come in all
sizes, from 5'1" to 6'6" or so. That's a difference of 17" in "tides".
So lowering the door 3" would make little difference in view of thaat
17"variation, right? Try making doors 6'5" high.

Door openings are fixed sea levels on a daily basis are not. Still has
there been a measurement where the average level of the sea is now 3"
deeper? I don't think so. Since water is self leveling this should be
happening all around the world. If is is not actually happening every
where, it ain't happening at all.