Wes Stewart

Default Semi OT Electrical Question

wrote:
|[snip]
|
|| And of course, the local inspector
||is the final authority.
|

|Unfortunately, so true.
|
|I added a laundry/sewing room and garage/workshop to my house.
|Because the laundry was a long way from the primary cooling system
|(dual evaporative/refrigerated), even though I tapped into the supply
|duct, I didn't expect much flow. Since I was also adding an
|evaporative cooler to the garage, I drew up plans that included a
|supplemental cooling duct from the garage into the laundry. To
|
|Oops. Instant fire code violation. There are reasons that the garage
|must (per NFPA codes) have:
|
| 1) 5/8" or thicker fire-rated drywall between garage and
| living areas.

Done. 5/8 FC on the garage side, 3/4" (1/2 + 1/4) on the house side.

| 2) Fire-rated, self-closing door(s) between living areas and garage and

Done.

| 3) No openings between garage and living areas, especially ductwork
| which can carry both fire and fumes from the garage into the living
| areas.

Not quite what I was told. I should have added that the SOB inspector
would have allowed thicker sheet metal ductwork and a fire operated
damper on the laundry side. This was way too much hassle and expense
for the limited use I would have made of it.

My main bitch was that I wasted a coupla hundred bucks on sheetmetal
and compromised the cooling in the shop by not optimally locating the
cooler because of the screwed up inspection department.

I should have just bribed them like the developers do and been done
with it.

Wes