Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Doorbells - what is it

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 08:53:59 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 08:13:12 +0100, PeterC wrote:

THe answer to this is simple. Most door bell that don't work look
like they should work. therefore there is no way of telling if a bell
is or is not working.

Anybody who installs a doorbell that can't be heard to be working from
the door needs their head examining.

I must get professional help then :-) If the bell can be heard from the
door there is a reasonable chance that no answer after 2 or 3 rings
means that the house is empty; if the bell can't be heard the caller
has no information.

Which could help tea leaves but the same information could be gathered
from an unanswered knock.

TBH if DG or other salesmen came round here I'd want a doorbell that
selectively didn't work.

Especially the last DGdroid: first question was if I owned or rented
the house. It seemed rather upset at my reaction to a personal
financial question.

He's asking that so he doesn't waste his time trying to sell you
something that you can't buy. Tenants can't normally change the windows
only the Landlord.

Saying you are renting works on telephone sales calls as well.

Saying you're a burglar is better.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org