Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Doorbells - what is it

On 03/07/2012 07:59, Huge wrote:
On 2012-07-02, Dave wrote:
On 2 Jul 2012 16:11:30 GMT, Huge wrote:

(Although I'd struggle; My house doesn't have a number and the nearest
public road is a 1/4 mile away.)

Niether do we and the road doesn't have an offical name.

The road my drive leads to has different names at either end, and we don't
know where it changes. After problems with the Fire Brigade not being
able to find us (someone torched a (presumably) stolen car at the end
of our drive) we asked about getting some road signs but the council
are still debating what to do. My wife suggested putting up a sign at
one end saying "Whatsit Road leading to Thingummy Lane" and at the
other end "Thungummy Lane leading to Whatsit Road". This is apparently
too clever for the council.

Still, at least the FB know how to find us now.

One place I lived in the early 1970s had missing road names. With my
father, I made our own in the style of cast iron road names, using
hardboard, from which we made GRP moulds, from which we made the name
plates, using self coloured GRP; black for the letters and surrounds and
white for the background. When I passed that way a year or so ago, they
were still there.

Colin Bignell