Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default mud rooms

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 15:05:54 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 12:41:55 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

How long has this word(s) been around. I started watching some
construction on tv and they give me the impression that the northern
part of US (maybe Canada too) uses the term. Well I lived around
construction while in NYC , Long Island and some NY state for a number
of years (moved away in late 70's) and never heard the term then. Is
a mud room similar to a foyer except it can be as a separate room?

Generally up here in the "great white north" the "mud room" is on
the "secondary" entrance, not the formal entrance - while the "foyer"
is at the formal or primary entrance.

More or less an off-shoot from the farm-house where when you came in
from the barn there was a room where you took off your "barn clothes"
before entering the kitchen.(after the days of the "woodshed" and
"summer kitchen")

And do you call the foyer the "foy yey" or the "foy- yerr"

I pronounce it as the latter but don't ask me what Texans call it as I
never asked them. I do know that "pecan" is pronounced different
than what I pronounced it in NY and it's the only word that I actually
now pronounce as a Texan. In other words as long as I don't say that
word in NY, no one will ever know I moved away years ago from NYC /
LI. I've been told that I never lost my NYC accent tho it's funny
now .... when I listen to some NY'ers, I hear their accent whereas
when I lived there, that never happened.