Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default mud rooms

On Jul 2, 7:06*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 15:14:55 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
.. .
How long has this word(s) been around. *I started watching some
construction on tv and they give me the impression that the northern
part of US (maybe Canada too) uses the term. * Well I lived around
construction while in NYC , Long Island and some NY state for a number
of years (moved away in late 70's) and never heard the term then. * Is
a mud room similar to a foyer except it can be as a separate room?

I am very interested in this concept, and should I ever build another house,
it will have mud rooms at every entrance for multiple reasons.

A foyer, I guess, is any reception area. *I think if one makes it into an
entire enclosed room intended for cleanliness, it becomes a "mud room". *I
think whether hooked up to the HVAC system, or not, they would tremendously
affect the infiltration of outside air, and the loss of interior
heated/cooled air. *Especially if any children are involved. *A situation
where the two doors cannot be opened at the same time would be advisable..
They can be entirely shut off from the system with a simple vent damper, or
left to cool/heat with the rest of the system. * Or just a simple electric
heater in the winter, or a fan in the summer would make them comfortable..

As for an area where outside contamination is attempted to be controlled,
they can't be beat. *A place specifically for hats, coats, wet or muddy
attire, whatever. *It just depends on your area, and how scungy you get when
you go out to do battle with the elements.

I understand in Siberia, a "mud room" is common to every house, as an
opening of any door can lose a huge amount of warm air in a few seconds.
They are an intentional barrier against arctic conditions, and have two
doors.

That is what you call an "air lock" - which IS one function of a
mud-room.

Which *could be* one function of a mud room.

Not all mud rooms are designed to be air locks.

Here's lots of pictures of areas referred to as mud rooms that aren't
serving as air locks.

http://www.houzz.com/mudroom

"Mud rooms" would not have to be muddy dreary areas, and with some basic
decorations, they could be a very nice welcome room. *With some advanced
decoration, they could be a warm reception for anyone entering the house.. *I
think they would be fun to design and decorate when planning a house.

Steve