Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default mud rooms

"Doug" wrote in message
How long has this word(s) been around. I started watching some
construction on tv and they give me the impression that the northern
part of US (maybe Canada too) uses the term. Well I lived around
construction while in NYC , Long Island and some NY state for a number
of years (moved away in late 70's) and never heard the term then. Is
a mud room similar to a foyer except it can be as a separate room?

I am very interested in this concept, and should I ever build another house,
it will have mud rooms at every entrance for multiple reasons.

A foyer, I guess, is any reception area. I think if one makes it into an
entire enclosed room intended for cleanliness, it becomes a "mud room". I
think whether hooked up to the HVAC system, or not, they would tremendously
affect the infiltration of outside air, and the loss of interior
heated/cooled air. Especially if any children are involved. A situation
where the two doors cannot be opened at the same time would be advisable.
They can be entirely shut off from the system with a simple vent damper, or
left to cool/heat with the rest of the system. Or just a simple electric
heater in the winter, or a fan in the summer would make them comfortable.

As for an area where outside contamination is attempted to be controlled,
they can't be beat. A place specifically for hats, coats, wet or muddy
attire, whatever. It just depends on your area, and how scungy you get when
you go out to do battle with the elements.

I understand in Siberia, a "mud room" is common to every house, as an
opening of any door can lose a huge amount of warm air in a few seconds.
They are an intentional barrier against arctic conditions, and have two
doors.

"Mud rooms" would not have to be muddy dreary areas, and with some basic
decorations, they could be a very nice welcome room. With some advanced
decoration, they could be a warm reception for anyone entering the house. I
think they would be fun to design and decorate when planning a house.

Steve