Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] karen_mullen@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Anyone heard of Emerson/White Rodgers "Cool Savings" feature ontheir thermostats?

On Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:41:30 PM UTC-4, Duesenberg wrote:
I have an Emerson thermostat that claims to have a feature called cool
savings...

I tried to Google this feature and Emerson says its designed to adjust
the programmed set point temperature during high demand use of a central
air conditioner. I think they mean that the thermostat will call on the
variable speed fan/ECM fan will blow faster to similate cooler air,
without the compressor running all the time, but that's just my guess

I can't really get any more information other than that.

I've only had this blower unit/furnace and thermostat for 4 months so no
history with it. Today was first day using the aircond this year
however A coil and compressor unit are 14 years old, and were run on a
different thermostat the past 13 summers.

Anyone care to explain what this feature is and how it works? Emerson
"Cool Savings"

I've read the manual, too, but I am still confused. It says "amount of adjustments". Does it mean "number of adjustments" or "amount of adjustment" (so 's'). It's quite common to use the word "amount" when the word "number" is meant. So, if it's "amount of adjustment" (no 's'), then the smaller the amount of adjustment for each adjustment (i.e., just a little adjustment for each adjustment), the longer the compressor runs; hence, for the most energy savings, I would want the value to be set to 6. (i.e., a big adjustment for each adjustment causes the compressor to turn off sooner).

On the other hand, if it means "number of adjustments", the smaller the number of adjustments, the sooner the compressor shuts off; hence, for the most energy savings, I would want the value to be set to 1. (one adjustment [each adjustment is less than one degree], and the compressor turns off.)

So, which is it: "amount of adjustment" (no 's') or "number of adjustments" ??