Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default O/T: Warm Enough

Han wrote in :

Doug Miller wrote in
:

Mike O. wrote in
news:kvr1v71pamehnqrq62pnpir4b14kelm9rn@ 4ax.com:

Globally, the 20 warmest years have all occurred since 1987.

Oddly enough, they've all occurred since the collapse of the Soviet
Union -- and the consequent shutdown of a large number of temperature
monitoring stations in one of the coldest parts of the world, because
the Russians could no longer afford to maintain them.

Ya think that might skew the average a bit higher?

I'd hope that they use a correction factor for that of some kind.

I wouldn't. I'd hope they would drop those stations from the earlier calculations too.

I don't trust this bunch *at all* to apply a correction factor honestly -- remember that they've
already been caught at least once applying "correction factors" when the actual data didn't
support their preordained conclusions.

OTOH, when my parents moved their last time, in 1947, the street was
dirt, as were many of the adjoining streets, however small their number
was. Since, the streets have all been blacktopped, and widened. Moreover
the surface area of paved roads in Holland has probably been increased
10-20 fold if not more. Somewhere there ought to be statistics on that.

There are; see http://www.surfacestations.org/ .

When you pave dirt with blacktop, build housing (read roofs), you
probably increase the heat retention of those surface several fold.

That's correct. And when temperature monitoring stations are right next to blacktop surfaces
http://www.surfacestations.org/image...50008_rear.jpg
or next to a burn barrel
http://www.norcalblogs.com/watts/images/Tahoe_city3.JPG
or next to other heat sources
http://www.surfacestations.org/image...g_OR_USHCN.jpg
then one might legitimately wonder just how accurate those measurements are.