Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vertical Geothermal HVAC

On Jul 1, 2:18*pm, Evan wrote:
On Jul 1, 12:36*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

Recently *my HVAC compressor unit was stolen form a vacation home, soon to be permanent residence. *I was thinking about upgrading to geothermal given that there are already 2 400 ft water wells on the property. I am trying to find some meaningful info but so far all I can find is sales pitches even when talking to an installer. Current HVAC was a 4 ton heat pump about 5 years old. Air handler is still in good condition. I am looking for info that will let me know whether or not I can use the wells and/ or the existing air handler.

TIA
Jimmie

Your two wells are nice and all but a ground source geothermal
system is typically spread out over a larger area with coiled
loops of tubing which are buried (larger ground contact area)
rather than narrow wells with limited *ground contact area...
They require a lot of earth moving to install and the size of
a ground contact heat exchanger in your tonnage would be
like digging for a septic system leaching field... *Then you
have all the associated pumping and heat exchanging
machinery which are quite expensive...

There you go again giving answers when you don't even
understand the question or the subject. Note the subject:
VERTICAL Geothermal. That is geothermal using wells
instead of ground loops.

Perhaps you should look at either replacing the recently
stolen components with newer more energy efficient ones

So they can steel them too, right?

as the coils for a geothermal system don't use compressed
refrigerant gas but circulate chilled water which would mean
you can not reuse the existing coil designed for DX gas
type cooling...

The question was whether he could reuse the existing AIR
HANDLER. While he probably can't the air handler and
coil for a geothermal system operate using refrigerant
gas, just like any other heat pump system. The water
that is circulating in the loops is NOT circulating in the
air handler.

Or if you really want to go geothermal
consult an HVAC design engineer, not an installer, to
see just how much more such a system would cost above
and beyond your present guesstimates to see if such
fits in with your financial realities...

Yeah, that should work great. Instead of getting quotes
from 3 reputable firms on systems that are commonly
installed now, engage an HVAC design engineer.

If you are looking at trying to be more environmentally
friendly there are other options such as packaged
chiller units with small sealed R407c refrigeration cycles
and are made by Multiaqua or gas fired chiller units which
use an ammonia refrigeration cycle R717 and therefore have
no ozone depleting CFCs which could escape made by
Robur...

It is all a matter of cost and choice, but as far as
geothermal goes you are way off the track

He's not as far off track as you are. At least he knows
what vertical geothermal, using wells is.