Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Bust up a cast iron bathtub

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 08:37:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jul 1, 10:05Â*am, wrote:
On Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:52:25 PM UTC-4, Frank J Warner wrote:
What's the best way to bust one of these suckers up?

You've talked yourself out of pretty much every rational means of removing the tub, so I guess it's in there permanently...

Come on, how tight is it? It can't possibly be THAT tight that you can't swing a hammer AT ALL. All you need is a couple half-assed hits, and the tub will shatter like a pickle jar.

It might real tight...we really don't know.

I was tearing out a basement bathroom once and had to remove some sill
plates that had been nailed to the slab. Those needed considerably
less sledge-related force to remove than busting up a tub and I still
had problems due to lack of space.

First swing at one sill plate and it didn't budge. Second swing, again
nothing. Third time I figured it needed some more force so I went for
a bigger backswing.

That's when I heard the Chink! as I hit the rim of the toilet on the
backswing and cracked off a chunk. Luckily it cracked above the water
line so there was no flood, but it left us without a second toilet for
a few days.

Of course, once the toilet was removed, I had a lot more room to swing
the sledge.

Wrong tool. A pry bar splits sill easily.
Even a chisel and an itty bitty 2lb hammer will do it.
A sledge might not be the best tool for cast iron tubs either.
The tub might be worth some money.

--
Vic