BillR

Default Electric mirror in a bathroom

Richard wrote:
In article , "BillR"
wrote:

Richard wrote:
Hi everyone

I have just got a new mirror with lights in it for the bathroom.

It has a 'shaver' plug on it.

What I would like to do is wire it directly from a pull cord switch.

Is there any reason why I could not cut off this shaver plug and
wire
it into a fused spur with the pull cord switch, or is there
something special about the power coming from a shaver socket that
would mean I would have to have one of these?

It would be nice to hide the wires too, but for ease of removal I
guess that will not be possible, unless I could find a flush
'vertical' socket. By that I mean one that I can plug into
vertically, rather than horizontally, behind the mirror and keep it
as close to the wall as possible. Is there such a thing?

Thanks

Richard

I can't see the usual bathroom shaver socket transformer being able
to power any sort of light because they are usually only 15-20 watts
normally.
This must be some continental plug type, possibly IKEA rubbish?

It's not actually from Ikea (unlike most of the stuff we have ),
but a Flabeg mirror, bought through local big building trade place
(Ridgeons for those of you who know the area)

It hadn't occured to me that it wouldn't be for a shaver socket.

I'd do what you suggest with the switched fused spur.
Do make sure though that it is safe to put it where you want in the
bathroom, bearing in mind the different zone ratings.

Remind me of the zone ratings.

Just do a UK google search for "bathroom electrical zones"
e.g. http://www.electriclightcompany.co.u...o_bathroom.htm