Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Laptop power supply "dead" or is it?

On Jul 2, 4:14 pm, Adrian C wrote:

On 02/07/2012 13:40, Jim K wrote:

So I chopped the jack of the end to reveal a 3 core cable (which
surprised me a bit - was expecting 2)

Genuine Dell power adaptors have an ID chip (One-Wire Dallas thing)

that
communicates and is recognized by the laptop on boot. Without that

chip
(or a broken wire) the laptop disallows battery charging, but it

should
at least run OK from the supply, on two wires.

MMM this one don't ;(( any thoughts as to why if it *isn't* the
charger?

A replacement Dell supply from CPC is less than £20. Or take your

chance
on eBay between the real, compatible and the fake.

What model adaptor? laptop model?

PA12 adaptor
no laptop here at mo....

I looked on CPC - how do you know they are Dell?

they look like same chinesey clones on ebay...

Jim K