Scott Lurndal

Default Semi OT Electrical Question

Wes Stewart writes:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:00:58 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
[snip]

| And of course, the local inspector
|is the final authority.

Unfortunately, so true.

I added a laundry/sewing room and garage/workshop to my house.
Because the laundry was a long way from the primary cooling system
(dual evaporative/refrigerated), even though I tapped into the supply
duct, I didn't expect much flow. Since I was also adding an
evaporative cooler to the garage, I drew up plans that included a
supplemental cooling duct from the garage into the laundry. To

Oops. Instant fire code violation. There are reasons that the garage
must (per NFPA codes) have:

1) 5/8" or thicker fire-rated drywall between garage and
living areas.
2) Fire-rated, self-closing door(s) between living areas and garage and
3) No openings between garage and living areas, especially ductwork
which can carry both fire and fumes from the garage into the living
areas.

scott