Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Aluminum Soldering

In article ,
Richard wrote:

On 7/1/2012 11:46 AM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 13:53:45 -0700,
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:40:23 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

[...]

The best for gluing steel to brass (which I do most often) is
Household Goop.

I'm pretty sure it's a chemistry issue. For such things, one asks the
glue manufacturer. If I recall, brass is the problem.

The glue manufacturers I asked did not have a dicky. Indeed brass is
the problem. It does not matter how you pre-treat it. Incantations and
saying Lord' prayer backwards does not work either.

Just Goop.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
You saying BRASS is difficult to solder?????

No, glue. I think the zinc reacts badly with some kinds of adhesives.
Aluminum has this problem too. Anyway, there are glues that work, and
glues that don't work.

Joe Gwinn

There are techniques that work as well, not just adhesives.

For instance, for aluminum...
The problem is that aluminum grows an oxide layer is just a few seconds.
So what you have to do is prep the oxide layer and bond to that.
Phosphate wash followed by two-part primer like EpiBond or Randoplate.
Now your glue can bond to the primer and get some adhesion.

Urethane glues will actually work with the primer, Looks like it
dissolves into the primer.

But for general bonding metal to metal, pick a Goop, any Goop,
and stick with it.

How does this work for people to metal?