Darwin

Default Lag bolts vs. carriage bolts

You're right that they would be much shorter.

With that said tho -- they would be inserted into your base, into the
face grain. I've had really good luck with them; sometimes they can
be a PITA to install. Plan their placement; with out looking at your
design; I would say a couple in each foot would be needed to keep them
from torquing.

FWIW you'll want to make sure you get the "right" ones, some have very
coarse threads like a lag bolt except sharper, others have a more fine
thread, similar to a course stove bolt, but sharper. I like the ones
with the course threads, I found them easier to install, and don't
crush the wood quite as easily. Others may have their preferences.

Good luck...

"GonnyGump" wrote in message
om...
"Darwin" wrote in message

How about using threaded brass inserts into the base, then bolt
through the feet?

Since such inserts are usually much shorter than the lag screws that
can be used, I would guess that they would be less secure than the
lags.

jdc