Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default O/T: Amazing

On 6/30/2012 2:35 PM, Frank Stutzman wrote:
Han wrote:

Well said. Just a little question. Most (I think) physicians, including
primary care doctors, nowadays are saddled with an extensive staff of
billing agents, transcribers, appointment secretaries etc, etc. So net
pay and gross pay are very different.

Absolutely. My father-in-law was also a general practitioner (doctoring tends
to run in my wife's family). He ran his clinic with just a nurse and a
front desk person who also handled the business operation. Very low overhead
and, thusly, very low costs to his patients.

On the other hand, it was a cash only business. He did his patient notes in
his own shorthand on 3x5 cards, owned the building he worked in, and ended
up marrying his nurse.

Now days just nagging insurance companies to pay (either Medicare or private)
takes a staff of and least 2 full time employees per practitioner.

There are former doctors who quit being doctors because they couldn't
afford the $100,000 a year or more the insurance companies demanded for
malpractice premiums.