Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default sill plate attachment on old construction?

On Jun 28, 7:21*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
How were sill plates attached to concrete foundations in older (60 years
in this case) construction?

I'm just tearing into a 12' rotted-out section of exterior wall in the
workshop and the sill plate is completely shot - but I'm not seeing any
signs of how the plate's anchored to the concrete; no J-bolts or wedges.
I'm not seeing evidence of wire ties either, although I suppose they
might have disintegrated.

Maybe it'll become obvious once I tear the rotted plate out (and
hopefully the answer isn't "nothing" ;-) but I probably won't get to that
until later today once I've got the structure well supported. I'll put
wedges in when I shoe-horn a new plate in...

cheers

Jules

Sometimes no connection, just the sill placed against wet mud.
Maybe some 16d or 20d nails every once in while pressed into the wet
mud.

Where is the structure located?

SIngle story? A passable bolting would be 1/2" or 5/8" anchors at 6'
o/c and with 12" of ends of sill.
More than enough for a "shop" or garage. In your case sounds like
about 3 anchors.

cheers
Bob