Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tony Sivori[_2_] Tony Sivori[_2_] is offline

Default Question for the Leftpondians - completely OT ... :-)

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 16:06:14 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Robert Macy:
"Engine Braking Prohibited", way out in the wilds, no one around.

Plus, the slope was so gentle? Maybe for the trucks?

They're *really* loud.... as in you don't want tb within even miles of
the noise - especially, I'd think, on wide-open country without a lot of
trees/hills to mitigate it.

They are only really loud when modified by idiot drivers who want them to
be really loud. Otherwise, they are only slightly louder than a well
muffled engine.

As far as the gentleness of the slope goes, I don't have any experience
with heavily-loaded trucks,

I have experience with heavy trucks. They still have drum brakes and you
would be surprised how quickly they can fade under certain conditions.
Obviously when fully loaded and down a long grade; but also fully loaded
and after only three or four sudden stops from highway speeds. These
sudden stops from highway speeds are common due to traffic lights when
driving on the outskirts of towns on non-interstate highways.

The jake brake saves wear and tear and prevents brake fade due to
heating. Properly used, it adds to public safety.

There is one major safety drawback of engine braking. Only the driven
axles (typically one axle) does the braking. So on any road that has poor
traction (wet, snow, blowing sand, and goodness forbid ice). So jake
brakes are known to cause jackknifing on slick roads.

but I'd guess that if any braking at all is
required, the first choice from a cost-savings perspective would be the
compression brake, since it doesn't wear out any consumables.

100% correct.

--
Tony Sivori