Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Got the Bamboo Plywood (pic)

On 6/30/12 7:29 PM, WW wrote:
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Looks great as is. How does it take to stain? Or what type of finish are
you going to use WW

It's supposed to stain just like wood. This isn't actually stained. It's
a process some call "carbonization" that gives a uniform color
throughout the entire depth of the bamboo. I suspect it may be some sort
of baking treatment that darkens it.

I'm looking to use a topcoat that will darken the darker area even more
and be a natural looking finish, satin at most. I'm considering that Old
Masters gel polyurethane that Leon uses, or good old shellac. Suggestion
are welcome.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)