Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Wet wood

In article ,
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

it depends on what you want to end up with. The easiest to turn is wood
straight from a freshly fallen tree. However, as it dries the piece will
warp because of the nature of how wood dries. So, you will need to do one
of the following, rough turn and let it dry several months and then finish
turning, turn it and microwave it, boil it or treat it in any of several
other ways (these are of different degrees of effectiveness.)

Aww, you skipped turn it sopping wet to finished form, and enjoy what
happens as it dries. Fancy oval turning with out a fancy ornamental
lathe. Some belt sander or returning (or pin routing, for the fancily
equipped) is usually required to make them sit flat, but they can be
quite satisfying (and if they are not, they burn just fine). In my youth
I turned some birch bowls with walls so thin they were flexible even
after they dried. I'd hate to try that from dry stock.