Roy Smith

Default Grades of stainless steel fasteners?

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

I use strictly 316 for exterior marine applications since 304 and 18-8,
basically the same, will pit rather quickly in the salt air environment
found around a boat.

McMaster-Carr tends top be very pricey, but they usually have inventory.

Does anybody know a source for stainless fastners and hardware in really
small sizes? Places like Jamestown and McMaster only go down to about
#6 or maybe #4 for some stuff. I need smaller. Like 2-56 or even
smaller than that.

I've got a radio controlled sailboat, which I sail in salt water. Most
of the hardware on it came from a hobby shop, but they really cater to
planes and cars so nothing is stainless. Needless to say, most of my
hardware is quickly rusting.