Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default O/T: Amazing

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

On 6/29/2012 3:59 PM, Han wrote:
Sometimes you can't get something for free. Very often there is a
cost. And while I'm all in favor of individual responsibility, I also
think that you have to play fair. Why should I get such favorable
rates for health insurance (because I work or worked for a company
(university) that was generous with benefits), while someone who is
freelancing can't get affordable insurance (certainly not if there
could be a pre-existing condition)? Is he/she really so much of a
greater risk?

The difference is the company pays for your health insurance and the
independent does not have a company to pay part of his insurance.

To you this may seem unfair, but the company pays part of your
insurance to keep you on the job each day to get the most out of you.

Yes, the benefits are what kept me in the job for far longer than I
really wanted at times (and I was scared of failing to find a stable job
with kids who wanted college). What is unfair is that the company also
gets a tax break on those premiums, it's not just a freebie to you.
Freelancers don't get that break, plus they have difficulty getting into
a group with reduced premiums.

--
Best regards
Han