Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
George Herold George Herold is offline

Default Aluminum Soldering

On Jun 29, 8:15*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:29:46 -0400, Joseph Gwinn

wrote:

[...]

Ahh. *If the temperature range is small, epoxy will work, at least well
enough for experiments. *One can get slightly flexible epoxy from
industrial suppliers like Master Bond and Loctite. *They will know
what's best. *The strongest materials require very good cleaning of
surfaces and cure at 250 F.

I have an old Bransonic ultrasonic cleaning unit with a stainless-steel
tank. *The ceramic transducer is epoxied to an aluminum interplate which
is in turn epoxied directly the the stainless steel tank. *This unit
still works after decades of use.

Is there any reason not to just drill and tap the brass and mechanically
attach the aluminum plate with a few steel screws, with some silicon
grease between brass and aluminum masses?

I have not glued aluminum to brass but I have tried many adhesives for
gluing brass to other materials including other metals. I find that
most fail miserably.

The best for gluing steel to brass (which I do most often) is
Household Goop.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Hmm, Well in the deep dark past of grad school, we used stycast 1266
to glue Teflon 'washers' into TeCu plates.
Brass can't be that much different.

And there may be better epoxies by now.

George H.